12 gold biscuits found in the abdomen of a businessman

Posted on Apr 18 2014 - 9:20pm by IBC News

New Delhi:  12 gold biscuits, each weighing 33 grams, have been found inside the abdomen of a businessman in Delhi.

The 63-year-old had approached the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in the national capital for a surgery, stating that he had swallowed a water bottle cap and wanted to get it out of his body.

“He approached us on April 7 seeking surgery to remove a water bottle cap which he claimed he had accidentally swallowed. We got an X-ray done and it didn’t appear to be a cap. As the gold bars got stacked one behind the other it appeared to be a metal,” said Dr C S Ramachandran, senior consulting surgeon at Sir Ganga Ram hospital.

A team of doctors operated upon him on April 9 to get through the abdominal cavity and removed the foreign metal.

“We were shocked to find not one but 12 gold biscuits in his abdomen. When we asked him he was not ready to speak. We immediately sealed them in a container and handed it over to

the medical superintendent,” said Dr Ramachandran adding that the patient was discharged on April 15.

The hospital authorities later informed the police and subsequently the custom department officials were informed.

Dr Ramachandran said that the patient, a businessman from Chandni Chowk, was a known patient and he had operated upon him thrice in the past since 1989.

“He was operated for gall bladder removal, appendicitis and incisional hernia. He had diabetes. We were shocked when gold biscuits came out of his abdomen during the operation… But I am at least happy that I could save his life. If it would have stayed inside for couple of more days, it would have led to severe bleeding, rapture of the intestine, and septicemia. Moreover, he had severe diabetes,” said the doctor.

According to hospital sources, the man had swallowed the 12 gold biscuits, worth approximately Rs12 lakhs in all, to smuggle them into the country from Singapore 10 days ago.

He landed in trouble when he failed to get it out through his stool. It eventually started hurting him because of which he approached the doctors.